Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools 2010

Last year Bryant and I pulled a joke on Ann Bennett and made "fish sticks and peas" for dinner. AB hates fish, and the prank worked fabulously! She pitched a fit about the fish, and she was convinced the cookies really were fish -- never mind I've never once made her fish sticks! Bryant thought it was hilarious, but AB was not so amused.



THIS year, Ann Bennett wanted to play a prank on Bryant, and she wanted to make sure it was with a food he hates. She decided we should trick him with chicken pot pie, which for some reason he does not like. So, we made a fake chicken pot pie today. We baked a pie shell, and I baked the top shell flat on a cookie sheet. For the filling, we used white chocolate pudding with bananas chopped up as chicken and chopped and shaped starburst jellybeans (green, orange, yellow) as peas, carrots and corn. We put the top shell on, and it really looked like a pot pie.


We went to pick up Bryant from basketball, and AB (oh so subtley) asks, "did you leave the pot pie out?" To which Bryant instantly responds, "We're having chicken pot pie again? We just had it. I don't like pot pie." Well, AB could not hold it together and starts smirking. Bryant at first just gets mad and says he's going to laugh at her next time with have tilapia (as if he doesn't already do this!). About that time, we get home, and he realizes it might be a joke. But, he just wasn't sure. He walked in the house and smelled the baked shell, and he kept going back and forth - it's a joke, we're really having pot pie, no we're not. AB got the reaction she wanted, and B was a pretty good sport about it. He of course is spinning it that he knew we weren't really having pot pie, but we had him for a while.

I am not very good at these kinds of things, so this might be the extent of my April Fools' jokes on my kids. But, I highly recommend it at this age. It's fun. The kids understand it, and I think they appreciate it. I hope you had a great day. I have a picture of our pie, and I'll try to add it tomorrow.

No comments: