Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of School



Today was the first day of school in NC! We had a great summer, but it was time to go back to school. Bryant had baseball just about every day in June and July, so we needed August before returning to school. But, we had a few weeks off, and the kids were fighting over just about everything. It was time to get back to school.

Bryant started 4th grade today. I can't believe he is that old! He has friends who started middle school today, and that terrifies me. He has Ms. Walters, and his class is big! He has 29 kids in the class. The state mandate is that there can be no more than 29 in a 4th grade class without the state granting special permission. I'm not sure what I hope happens, but if a change is going to happen, I hope they go ahead and make the change. I don't want to lose time reorganizing classes! Bryant seemed happy enough today. He always is slow to decide what he thinks about a class, so we'll see. He got glasses this summer, and he is supposed to wear them at school. He is not happy about that, but hopefully he'll get used to it. He has heard that Ms. Walters can be fun if you're behaving or mean if you're not. He was delighted with her behavior system. You earn money for everything from school work to behavior, and you can spend the money on things like computer time, eating lunch with a friend from another class, helping in another class, etc.

Ann Bennett started 1st grade today. She has Miss Preston, and we are all really happy about that! She was Bryant's 1st grade teacher, and she was fabulous. She has been his favorite teacher so far. She is very disciplined, and kids love her. She rewards good behavior in ways that encourages all kids to do their best. She is fun, fully devoted and works really hard! She has babysat for us once a week the past 3 summers, so Ann Bennett is so excited. I'm glad because Ann Bennett has very few kids from the neighborhood in the whole 1st grade at her school. Fortunately she has a few children she knows in her class, including Frances. She and Frances were in a summer play group for years -- starting as toddlers. It should be fun for them to be together.

Carey can't understand my need for pictures on the first day of school, but it is a tradition for me with my kids. We always take them outside our front door. (They always seem a little hazy from the humidity of late August as well, and they are never great because the kids are always anxious to get to school.) What about you? Do you have a picture taking tradition? I'm planning to torment my children with these pictures until they leave for college.

3 comments:

Mitzi said...

I'm glad to hear that school has started for you and that it looks promising. Only 7 more days for us..... not that I am counting!! :) And, like you, I will have pictures on the front porch, in front of the front door, with both of them complaining.... In a few years maybe they will learn the quicker they pose, the quicker it is over with. Back to work. Love ya, M

Whitlamy said...

I take pictures of virtually everything. I can't even bare the thought of Bryce going to school, but there will definitely be photos involved.

Sandy P said...

I have pictures too. Last year Carson's was in the car though because we made a morning trip to the doctor. He had been sick all weekend but could not stand the thought of missing. I did get the front porch picture a couple days later while he was waiting for carpool with the Morrows.