Thursday, May 21, 2009

Working Out

Carey and I met at a gym. He worked there (and worked out there), and I worked out for a couple hours a day at the time. I didn't know anybody in town except for the people I worked with, and they all had families. Anyway, about a lifetime ago, I worked out a lot - WE worked out a lot. Then, most of my friends at the gym moved or had children. Carey quit working at the gym and started appraising, and we had children. Our time in the gym essentially dwindled down to none. For the past 2 years, our membership has even been frozen.

But, then I found out about this contest where 6 people were going to win 8 weeks of personal training 4-5 times a week. I applied, but I was not selected. But, they gave everyone who applied a temporary membership to the gym, a class just for those of us not chosen on Saturday mornings and a special rate for personal training. So, I'm at least working out for now.

I've been to the Saturday classes the past 2 weeks, and they are really good. But, you can recover in a week! I was kind of thinking, I could do the Biggest Loser (except for the weighing in wearing a bra and bike shorts!). I've done everything she asked. Yes, it hurts, but I've done it. This week personal training started. We went Tuesday and did part of a spin class, followed by a a bazillion plié squats, then ran up and down the 4 sets of steps throughout the gym. Let me just say I could barely walk yesterday. Then, I went back today, and she made me run (to be fair, it was only a couple of short intervals, but still), squat some more, and do those dadgum stairs -- among other things! I'm developing a better understanding for the people on the Biggest Loser. When Jillian is yelling at them to run and let go, I've always thought I'd never be able to do it. Now, I know I'd fall off -- never mind throwing up! At least my trainer is more reasonable than that. I guess I kind of deserve this after taking such bad care of my body for so many years! Baby steps. Baby steps!

1 comment:

Whitlamy said...

rene...that's awesome. i'll pray you can keep it up.