Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes

For some reason Bryant and I were talking yesterday about how old Mary was when she became pregnant with Jesus. I have no idea how these things come up, but I go where the conversation takes us. Anyway, I was telling him she was somewhere around 13, maybe 15. His mouth dropped open, appropriately I might add. Then, he said, she, or was is they, broke the law. "What law is that", I ask? "It's agains the law to have sex until you're 20!", he declared. It threw me a bit, and I'm all about him believing sex is not legal until as late as possible! So, I just said things were different then. People didn't live as long and had babies earlier. Then, he said, but didn't Abraham live until like 500? Boy, learning this Bible of ours sure has its complications through the eyes of a 9 year old! I never even got to the immaculate conception part of Mary's pregnancy. I can't wait to see how that goes. Now that he understands how babies get here, that fact might blow his socks off.

And, since I'm terrible about writing things down, we went to the doctor Monday because Bryant had pink eye. While we were there, I asked if we should schedule a check up sometime soon. He has not really had one since kindergarten. The cool think about a family practitioner is, he said why don't we just do it now! So, with his glasses, his eyes are OK. He weighed 82.6 pounds, and he was 55½ inches (4' 7.5"). His height was at the 90th percentile, and his weight was at the 95th. However, that might have been using the 83.6 he weighed when we walked in the door -- with shoes and before he "peed in a cup." Let me tell you, Bryant thought the whole idea of peeing in a cup was hilarious, disgusting, ridiculous, embarassing, and he waw REALLY happy his sister was not there to know about it. All seems well. Good to know.

I'm off to chaperone a field trip to Poplar Grove with Ann Bennett's 1st grade class.

1 comment:

Sandy P said...

Carson loves it when he has to pee in a cup!