Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Football Draft

Carey and Trip have had this fantasy football league for 10 years or so. I can't actually remember, but it's been a while. (Laura, do you know how long? I think it preexists the kids, right?) They hold the draft on Labor Day weekend. Traditionally, we alternate the draft location between our town and theirs. But, we've had a few issues over the years. Hurricanes come our way, and at times it has prohibited travel. And now, our growing families make it harder to be together. But, the league survives. They just do it online, so they don't have to be together. What tends to happen is the group in each town gets together. So, Sunday morning, this is what my kitchen table looked like.


Don't they look serious? I will say that this was the SHORTEST draft in history! I think they are finally working out the kinks. So the funny thing to me about this (other than the whole pretend football thing) is how normal it is for me to think a 9 year old would know enough to have a team. Bryant has wanted to be at the draft for at least the last 3 years. In fact, he's wanted to have his own league the last 2 years, but unfortunately he never thinks of this until about now. It is hard to find enough kids close to his age with the interest and knowledge to draft a fantasy team. I take it as normal for 9 year old boys, but when I start to think about kids to participate in a league, I realize it's not so normal after all. So, I guess somehow I have managed to raise a child who is going to grow into a man with lots of sports trivia in his head. I just hope we are managing to get other info up there as well. You know, that God loves him, has a plan for his life, responsibility, the importance of education, being a good friend, becoming a man of God, learning to comb his hair (did you notice that?). Just a few things beyond baseball, football, Olympic sports, etc.

2 comments:

Mitzi said...

Our friend's Kelly and Larry's little boy, Jake, is Bryant's age and is very in to fantasy football. He is the one kid who could give Bryant a run for his money. Perhaps we should have hooked them up via the internet, but I am not sure how many more they could have gotten to join them!!

Kathy Risley said...

You know I think this is hilarious don't you! That sweet Bryant does know all of those things for sure.
I'm enjoying your blog!!!!
Kathy