Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hurricane Prep

Until I moved to this area, I never really understood hurricanes. I knew what they were, but I never understood why people would stay in the area. I always thought, just leave. But, now I get it. You never really know until it is too late if you need to get out of dodge or not, and what do you take, and will you find a place that accepts both your cat and dog? The uncertainties go on and on. Plus, the one time we left, we almost couldn't get back because of flooding. I live in town and not at the beach, so I have never had a mandatory evacuation. If a mandatory evacuation was in place, we'd leave. And, if that Ike heads our way, the post will be different. However, I have now lived through a ton of storms -- Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Ophelia, and lots more that I don't even remember any more. My kids don't really remember hurricanes because fortunately we did not have even one last year. The only thing they "know" about hurricanes is Katrina, so Bryant keeps asking where we are going. When I tell him we're staying here, he looks at me like I've grown another head. But, he's 9, so he moves on quickly.

Anyway, there is a wierd energy in the air when a smallish hurricane is heading your way. It kind of energizes you. Everyone talks about it, and once all the work is done, it kind of goes into party mode. I know that sounds crazy, and once the storm hits, it's not such a party. And, AFTER the storm, clean up is NEVER a party! But, I have some really fond memories of waiting for a storm. And, just about everyone here has a hurricane tradition. Most everyone I know buys "rubbish" before a storm. There is some rule that seems to say that calories consumed -in drink or food - during a storm don't count. My personal favorite is a Nutter Butter cookie. I NEVER buy these at other times because I simply have no self control with them. So, I have gas in my car. I have water (though in all the years I've been here we have never lost water in the city limits), batteries, a manual can opener, canned food, ice, candles, a charged cell phone and nutter butters. We should be fine now.

Oh, and for those of you who might try to call us, don't worry if our phone is out. We won't have phone if either cable or electricity is out. This is the only problem I've had with cable phone service. Before cable phone, I never lost the phone, so when boredom set in I could always phone a friend. Now, I have to referee fights without the vita-line. My cell phone should work, but only as long as I have battery power. From what I understand, the storm will not be here until late tomorrow night/early Saturday morning -- if it even comes here, and it is fast moving. You just never know, but Carey has heard that the kids are out of school tomorrow. I was hoping they'd at least go half day. I hate making up missed days! Hurricane days are never as much fun as snow days were. Please do remember all the people who work during these storms. Emergency personnel, medical staff and even power companies have a lot of work to keep everyone safe during a storm. I know this post seems lighthearted, but I do recognize the power and potential threat of a storm. Pray that no fools try to surf in this storm. Someone always does -- especially with school out tomorrow.

1 comment:

Whitlamy said...

Thinking of you. I lived in Greenville, NC for 2 years and got the pleasure of experiencing Hurricane Floyd. It was a nasty storm...I've never seen anything like it. That's the hardest I've ever worked in my entire life. I worked for ECU and we became a shelter. All the managers were turned into hourly workers and we worked our rear ends off. I remember telling my boss that I'd work as long as 1. He came and got me as the flooding was so bad, power lines were everywhere, etc. and 2. I wasn't leaving without my dog. So, Maddie (my dog) went with me to work and stayed in a cage in the kitchen (we ran the dining hall) for 5 days straight.

Anyawy...thinking of you and hoping for little excitement