Monday, September 29, 2008

Football Anyone?

Saturday afternoon, our family skipped Ann Bennett's soccer game to go up to the NC State football game. It was a 7:30 game, so since Carey never leaves a game early, we knew it would be a late night (especially because it was a TV game). Over the years we have had some HORRIBLE weather at games -- 152 degrees one time with sleepy children, -30 another year. We figured this would be a good one -- cool, but not cold. So, off to Raleigh we go. As is tradition, we started out tailgating.


Ann Bennett and "friends"

I don't know if you can see it or not, but the guys in the convertible had an interesting "tail gate" strategy. They ate in their car with the top down. Never seen that one before.

Next, we went to the "fan zone" where they have fun stuff for the kids. You know you are really getting old when you go to get a new free ring tone at the Alltel booth, and the guy gives directions to your son and says something like, "I'm gonna tell him how to go get the one you want since he probably does more with the phone than you do." Seriously! I mean, I know some 9yo have phones, and maybe Bryant looks older. Who knows, but really!


This is actually the first pic I have of them in front of the stadium.

So, we go into the stadum. In like the first 3 minutes, South Florida scores. It's not looking too good. Then, something makes a guy behind us boo the officials or some play. A guy in the next section starts yelling at the guy behind us not to "boo the field in this house." A bunch of explicatives, security and even the real police later, they calm down and we get back to the game. Don't you love it when you take your family to an event that should be safe, and they get exposed to stuff you'd like to avoid? Meanwhile, Ann Bennett is talking a mile a minute -- important stuff like if the Cubs played NCSU, who would we cheer for? If Furman played NCSU who would I cheer for? There's Mrs. Wolf. Are those our cheerleaders? We managed to avoid the food questions. NCSU scored a field goal.

At the end of the 1st quarter, it started to rain. We had an umbrella -- in the car, and I had on a white t-shirt. We really did not think we were going to need rain gear. As the rain got harder, I decided it was not going to be pretty if I stayed in the rain, so Ann Bennett and I go get ponchos and hide out under the bleachers. A bit later, I call Carey to find out he and Bryant have also vacated to under the stands. It takes us a while to find each other - bad reception under stands in rain! We found each other and Carey says we are leaving. The score was already 31-3 or something like that. We left before half time, and he has never left a game early. As we walked out of the stadium, State scored the only touchdown of the evening. It was not pretty. I think the final score was 41-10.

So, the next picture is really what we drove to Raleigh for last Saturday. At least we were home a little earlier than expected. I am shepherding Ann Bennett's Sunday school class, and she was singing in church.


I hope your team won this week. Furman won 35-10, but neither of my children are Paladin fans. Maybe they'll convert yet!

2 comments:

Sandy P said...

I like B's classes.

Karen said...

I took my family to the Furman vs Va Tech game at Va. Tech. Aunt Suzy went too, since she was a tech fan. FU didn't win but did ok. Nobody scored until second half and then we scored once. David routed for Va Tech with Aunt Suzy. Lauren screamed Go Purple - I think that's better than screaming GO FU! It was fun - wish we were closer and could go to more of the games. Every year I think about homecoming - but it's just so far away.

Sorry your game was a wash out.