Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School


The first day of school for 2009-2010. For some reason I never get good pictures of the first day. I don't know if it's because it is so humid in August here, or if it is because we are trying to do this and get to school on time. But, these are the best I could do.


Bryant is 10 and is starting the 5th grade. He is at the same school where he started K. We tried to move to another school last year, but when we did not get a spot, I felt certain that God was leading us to stay put through 5th grade. If you asked him before school started what he was most excited about this year, he probably would have told you not having to tuck in his shirt this year. Last year the 5th graders did not have to follow that rule. Bryant is in a combo 4th/5th grade homeroom, but his academic instruction will take place with 5th graders. It's a complicated system that the principal concocted. I hope it works.
Ann Bennett is 7 and is starting 2nd grade. For the first time in her life she is in a girl heavy class. She has a fabulous teacher/assistant combo. She is also in a 1st/2nd grade combo. (There are only 2 combos in the school and both of our kids are in them.) Her combo class is going to be great. They have taken a lot of independent workers (code for a higher ability group) in each grade and placed them together with few, if any, children with known behavior problems. I think she will have a really good year, and I'm happy for her!



Just to give you an example of what most of my pictures looked like, I thought I'd throw this one in to the mix. What's funny to me is this is how I wore my hair at her age, but I never fixed AB's hair like this. Hers has always gone to the side with a bow -- at least when I had it my way! But, she has decided that she likes it like this. I'll have to look for a pic of me with my hair just like this, but mine was not as fine as hers. In that way, her hair is more like Sandy's.

I wish that at the end of the day we were excited about the year, but with all honesty, we are feeling very shaky. The school is attempting to address behavior more aggressively this year (as they should), but it seems that in so doing a very negative environment has been created. Ann Bennett ended her day with a tantrum, and Bryant asked me to move him to another school or home school him. The only good thing about a bad first day is that day 2 has to be better! At least they were able to wear more color this year (any solid color shirt with a collar), and Ann Bennett can accessorize with belts, bows and jewelry. That always makes you feel better!

No comments: