Sunday, August 2, 2009

Gone Camping

This afternoon we drove Bryant to his first week of sleep away camp. He is at Camp Trinity, http://www.trinityctr.com/campt/. (Someday I'm going to learn how you do that fancy thing where you can just click on the words and go to the link.) Anyway, it is an Episcopal affiliated camp that is about 2 hours from here. It is at the beach, and from what I hear it is an old fashioned camp. The kids play a lot. They swim and learn to sail some, but they have a lot of games and general silliness. We knew that one friend was signed up for this week, but after he was accepted, we found out that a slew of kids from here are going to be there this week. In his cabin are 3 kids who were in the toddler class with B at preschool. Bryant doesn't remember one of the guys because they have not hung out since preschool, but the other 2 guys are really good friends. And, there are 3 girls from his school there and another girl he knows as well.

Anyway, we got him settled in his cabin -- made his bed, put his toiletries away, etc. It was time for us to leave, and I asked B if he wanted to walk us out. He said yes, and my wonderful, precious big guy gave me the best hug on that porch. He told me he was going to miss me, and he even admitted he was just the tiniest bit nervous. Fortunately, there are a bunch of kids he knows and families I know. I felt completely comfortable leaving him there. If I had not felt so certain, it would have been much harder to leave. I KNOW he is going to have a great time. I KNOW he will learn a lot about being away. I KNOW camp is where so many of us really begin our personal relationship with God. I just HOPE he brushes his teeth, changes his clothes and MOST of all I hope he doesn't mess up his nose again! Tonight's group activity is dodge ball. I have not heard from the camp yet, so I'm hoping this means his nose is OK. I am pretty sure evening activities are over and they are moving into the camp fire time.

Long story short, my son is away for a week of camp, and I cannot wait to hear all about it and have him back home.

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

That's very cool. I went to a lot of great summer camps, but none included a beach!!! I can't wait to hear how much fun he had!!!