Saturday, August 8, 2009

Girls Gone FAB


From the time Ann Bennett was tiny, like maybe 2, she loved the princesses and dressing up. She especially loved "Cindelella." For a while she even went through a phase where she called herself "Ann Bennett Cindelella princess." Even as a toddler she always had a purse. She loved (still does) shoes and accessories. Teaching toddlers and having a 2 yo niece reminds me of this stage -- as do all the blogs I read of younger girls. About a year and a half or maybe even 2 years ago she decided Cinderella couldn't be her favorite because she wears Carolina blue, and recently the princesses have become a bit uncool in her age group. But, she has struggled against this. Earlier this year she told me that she didn't like princesses any more, but she was on the verge of tears while saying this. We talked about how it seemed like she did like princesses but most of her friends didn't really like them. I told her it was OK to still like them even in her friends didn't. But, the period of all things princess and fancy seemed to be fading. Don't get me wrong, she still loves her shoes, accessories, nails, lip gloss and recently hair stuff, but the princesses seemed to be fading away.

Anyway, this week, I saw the newest version of dressing up. It seems a little like a trendy, hip, slightly sassy princess version. Notice they also dressed up Allie. In this picture, they are wearing the very first set of princess dress up clothes Ann Bennett had. Somewhere in this house I have a picture of a preschool Bryant in these clothes. He'd kill me if I ever found it and posted it, but trust me it was funny. It also only happened once.

It's funny how as Ann Bennett gets older her play seems more familiar to what I remember as a child. I never dressed up a dog, but our poor cat, Daisy, was tormented by the dress up clothes. Allie did NOT like the dress up! I don't have a great picture because she kept moving around trying to get this stuff off!


And just so you can see what the previous princesses looked like, here are a couple of pictures of Ann Bennett and Anne Catherine 3 years ago (obviously in the "cheese" stage). These are the oldest pictures on this computer. I'd have to work a lot harder, but I bet I could find one very much like this even earlier. Just so you don't have to do the math, the girls were 4 in these pics. (These two are "birthday buddies" as they say. Their birthdays are only a week apart.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have darling kids! I miss the days when Sarah played dress up; there's no stage quite like it.
:-)

Unknown said...

Hello again!

In response to your question, Sunday morning is Nag's Head (First Flight Church) and Monday interview is in Manteo.

Becky